Sunday, May 8, 2011

Simply Walking Outside Would Prompt Nearly Anyone to Move Here

I am so disappointed that  I chose not to take my camera on my trip to the grocery store today.  Despite the fact that nearly nothing is open on Sundays in Helsinki, the main streets were bustling with people who seemed to be dressed up and enjoying mother's day.

Before I left the apartment I checked weather.com to see if I should wear my coat and learned that it was 64 degrees F - sweatshirt only weather!  My goal was to buy chicken and tikka masala sauce at the grocery store on the way to the Esplanade, but when I got there it was closed in celebration of Mother's Day.  I continued towards the center of the city and was surprised at all of the people.  Ice cream stands had cropped up and there were lines and cones everywhere.  It occurred to me that the market square on the harbor might be open and as I have less than 3 weeks left in Helsinki I should take the time to walk there and see.

On my way I passed by a stage with performing robots.  Yes, robots.  I could not believe that there was actually an audience sitting there enjoying the sunshine and the show.  It was two fairly basic robots (the kind which were essentially designed to push a button or move an object in a production line.  They were moving to music and then would push a button on a jukebox to change the song.  Too funny.

I knew that Sally bought some groceries earlier today so figured the Kampii center was my best bet for food.  I passed by Stockman on the way there and thought it could be fun to look through their selection of food, but it was closed for Mother's Day as well.  About a block in front of the Kampii center I saw tents with goods for sale.  I had to walk and see what was available!  I must have missed the sign describing the event, but it seems part of France was in Helsinki today.  There were a couple cheese stands with signs in French and English, but no Finnish.  The individuals working there spoke French to one another.  Another tent had a very diverse selection of candy.  Bags, jewelry, crepes, and churros (a strange addition, I know) were also available for sale!  One of the bracelets tempted me, but I decided to continue on to the Kampii center.  I found my groceries and headed home, still just marveling at the temperatures and fantastic sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment