Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Feels Like Summer in Helsinki!

Yesterday I accomplished very little scholastically speaking, but I had a great time!  First, I have some pictures from Saturday (which was my last post).



Inside the M-Train on the way to the Myyrmäki Church


The west (left in this image) side of the building is quite linear and designed to be closed off because of the train line running about 10 meters away.  Leiviskä calls this the "back" of the building with the east side is it's "belly".



Here is the "belly" of the church which is more inviting because of the many changing scales and forward-backward motions of the planes




Enjoying the sunshine near the train station!


These are the wristers I felted when I got back to the apartment



Now that the weather is changing these are perfect for my hands that get chilly when standing still and warm quickly when walking



Tuesday morning I got up, ready, and researched a little for our Building Systems assignment that is due on Thursday.  At 10am, Sally and I set out towards the Russian Consulate.  On our way, Todd called Sally and asked us to go get glue because he saw a sign emphasizing that photos should not just be paper clipped or stapled to the application but needed to be glued.  We arrived with glue in toe to quite the slow moving line.  Sally set her personal goal at "passing the column" by noon and all of us were wishing we had brought our free reading books.  Miraculously, Todd got to the front of the line by around 11:50am!  Our paperwork was comparatively simple to those who came before us, so the three of us got through in about the same time as any other individual in the line.  

I left the Consulate around 12:15pm and headed to the grocery store for some lunch food.  I made chicken and snow peas with garlic and rosemary (the first time I remember ever using rosemary) along with some garlic bread - so much more appealing to me than school food.  Next I headed out on a few errands - returning books to the Architecture Museum Library, going to the post office (where I was asked if I was there to vote!), and then to the train station to try again to get into the Myyrmaki Church.  The train ride is where my main activity for the day started - on Monday I had downloaded a new free reading book to my ipad and by the end of Tuesday I had finished (exciting, yet sad).  It seems that either people over a certain age did not receive English education in their primary education or spend so little time using their skills that they have minimal confidence.  A very nice lady at the church looked at me curiously when I entered the church but had to call another woman over who spoke english to answer if I could take pictures of the church.  She was kind  enough to not only walk me in, but turn on the lights, which greatly changes the experience of the sanctuary.  





Most of the churches I have seen hide this part, but it was fun to get to "see into" the organ







The alter is on the "back" side of the church so one would expect it to be rather dark.  Leiviskä does an excellent job of playing with the light and allowing it to stream in very directionally. 









Outside without a coat!  It is soo exciting that spring is coming to Finland.


This is the view of the church from the train platform


Waiting for the next M-Train

Once I returned to the main train station I had a decision to make - free ice cream or going to the bank.  April 12th was "Free Cone Day" at Ben and Jerry's.  I walked to Kampii and read in a line for about 30 minutes until I got my first cone of New York Super Fudge Chunk.  I was surprised by the nuts, but the chocolate ice cream was indescribably wonderful.  So wonderful, that I decided to wait an extra 10 minutes instead of plowing through the experience to catch the bus leaving right away.  

Although this made me technically late for class by 7 minutes, my teacher arrived at least 50 minutes after me so all was well.  Each of us met individually with our history teacher for a little bit regarding our paper.  After I talked to her, I took the bus back the Kampii, walked home (reading the whole way), and took laundry down to the machines.  I re-heated my leftovers from lunch and finished my book.  The evening ended with a 2 hour phone call to Grandma Mary and nearly finishing my second thrum mitten (knit with the yarn from the outdoor market).

No comments:

Post a Comment