Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sun-day

It is currently 16 degrees Celsius, 59 degrees Fahrenheit in Helsinki.  After watching an online sermon, I started out to enjoy the sunshine and shop a little.  


This is our site for our studio project.  We will (in theory of course) take out the gas station and put in our new America Center.


Across the way is the Design Museum



Nearby is St. John's church


Apparently, it is really summer in Helsinki.  Sally and I loved that as soon as the snow started to melt, the street were lined with Finnish flags.


Me on my walk toward the city center


On the way is a Russian restaurant - fancy food


Nearby park



The Architecture Museum


This is my grocery store half the time - it is where I discovered the tikka masala sauce I keep eating every two weeks.


Over spring break, we ate here on Thursday night.  Walking past was how I decided to make myself tacos for lunch and dinner.


Esplande Park


They have amazing chocolate!  Apparently the founder was an Italian who immigrated to Finland.  Yum!


Here is Hotel GLO, where my father and Diane stayed over spring break


If Stockmann doesn't have it - you don't need it.  The prices, however, are not often user friendly.  I wandered in (noting another sign of the summer coming because it was closed on Sundays in the winter) and found a cute shirt.  The price tag of 298 euros scared me out the door.


I was so excited that the marimba player was back.  I hadn't heard or seen him in quite awhile and enjoy his playing much more than the regular trumpeters playing "autumn leaves" and other classics.


He is the first street musician for whom I have stopped and put some coins in their box.


I arrived at the Forum and had a little bit too much fun shopping.  Next I wondered home with a stop at the Kampii grocery store, made myself some tacos, and will soon start that 3d model I keep promising myself I'm going to finish this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment