Friday, April 15, 2011

Spring Might be Staying

I woke up today and worked on my paper for history class.  It's either 7 or 9.5 pages depending on if my teacher would like it to be 1.5 or double spaced.  Around 11:30am I decided I was quite hungry and started debating between my cooking, thai food, and something from Pita Pita.  Without a set plan, I headed outside and was amazed by the wonderful weather.  The sunshine is fantastic!

I decided that more than just a trip down a couple blocks was in order so walked to Pita Pita and decided against an 8,50 euro sandwich for today.  I kept walking towards the centre of the city until I saw the Forum (basically the mall of Helsinki) and then turned left next to an ice cream stand.  It was interesting to me that what I was walking along (which I previously had only known as a park of snow) was not only a park but also contained grave stones.  I walked back along a street I had not been on and then found my way to the thai restaurant.  The guy working there recognized me from last week.  When I asked for "number 100 with chicken to go" he asked "again?"  It's both endearing and awkward to be remembered.

Along my walk back to my apartment I noticed a Nordstrom which was not a department store, a collection of rocks places as art or benches or both in a parking lot, and a sign for Paul Mitchell hair supplies.  Helsinki is a lot more entertaining when it is warm enough to look around.  Now it's time to work on either a presentation for history or my chair design.  Odds are fairly good I will end up knitting a little with the yarn I purchased yesterday - I almost knit too much in Finland, it seems.  Here are some photos of the mittens I finished earlier in the week:




Fun anecdote from yesterday:  I saw a couple standing looking at a map seeming lost and asked if I could help them.  They spoke a little french to one another.  I pointed to our location on a map and said "nous avons ici" which they repeated and then said it in english.  I apologized for not knowing much french, found out that they were headed to the main train station and pointed them in the right direction.  Sadly it wasn't a straight shot so they still might have gotten lost...but hopefully I helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment