Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Something You Wouldn't Expect + More Rovaniemi

At the little store here at school they have all kinds of little random things.  I went there to buy a glue stick and found something quite unexpected...they have multiple sizes of knitting needles right next to the combs, lol.

Thanks to facebook, I gathered photos from the Rovaniemi weekend that my classmates took so thought it would be fun to share some great shots and then images from Saturday because I did not take any of my own.

It was quite chilly waiting for the train to come


See - it's the Santa Claus Express!!


This is a group of us hanging out in the dining car.  I brought with me a box of crackers and a 1,5 L bottle of Pepsi Max :)


This is Todd and Saori - they were roomies on the train!


Easily the coldest weather I've ever experienced 


This is where we checked in - never thought I would stay in a hostel owned by Hotel Santa Claus!



View of the church from the City Hall


Everyone was freezing on our walk.  I probably look a little irritated because Matti, one of our studio professors, was sharing some interesting historical fact about Rovaniemi which I want to learn, but only inside a heated environment

Very effective lighting in the Aalto designed library


This is the concert hall designed by Juhanni Palasmaa (sp) which is current under construction.  It was lovely.



This is the inner "streetscape" right outside the concert hall.






Dinner Friday night - this is Sally's arctic char...across the table I am sitting wrapped in my pink scarf and getting ready to eat my beef steak (yes, the beef is a necessary clarification in this part of the world)

Best food at the table that night, in my opinion: Todd's elk steak.

This is Matt's reindeer dish.  The red stuff on the left side of the plate is beets.  They are big on the beets here in Finland it seems.


This is the apartment of the organizer of design week.  She invited us over for appetizers and sparkling wine at 6pm.


Even the trees look cold!


The next 9 pictures or so were taken by Emila who was a wonderfully fun person hired to take photos for Design Week 2011.  This is Paiva (sp?) who hosted us at her apartment, organized design week, and promised to have us to her house in Helsinki when the weather warms a little.  Next to her is Matti, one of our studio professors who was raised in Rovaniemi so stayed with his father and acted as our guide to Lapland.


This is the first snow sculpture that Kenny and I built.  We based it on an idea of Philip's that we should have a series of arches in tribute to St. Louis and Eero Saarinen (sp).


Saori and Philip built an arch out of snow that they could sit on!

...or lay on


Here's most of the group.  I must've been inside the restaurant enjoying hot chocolate at this point.


Kenny hoping our sculpture stays.  It broke at one point so I went and got some water and he patched the snow.


Yes, I used that saw to cut the snow, lol.


Michael looks sooo happy and childlike sitting thinking about his snow sculpture


Saori carved these penguins even though these creatures belong on the south pole.


These are some of the sculptures done by Helsinkians

Isn't this reindeer cool?!!

I found a snow stick in Saori and Philip's sculpture so naturally started to make gun noises and act like I was five years old.




This is the Nordic Museum.  It looks a lot like Michael Graves might've designed it even though I don't think that is the case.



Inside the museum dedicated to the north. 

The gift shop had a nifty reindeer hat, so we all had to try it out:
Philip 

Kenny

Me (Anne)

Matti

Todd

Sally

Saori

Matt

This is the runway for the Design Week 2011 show which included fashion, video game controllers, film, and ice sculpting.

All that and I still haven't said anything about Sunday's events....goodness sakes was it ever a full (but wonderful) weekend.









No comments:

Post a Comment