Saturday, February 26, 2011

Some Who Wander Think Being Lost Might be Fun for Awhile

Today I decided to go on a bit of an architectural scavenger hunt.  When I was at the Museum of Architecture I found a beautiful book (which I may want to purchase as a different kind of souvenir from my trip) titled "Contemporary Architecture in Finland" which reminded me of the many beautiful structures in or near Helsinki and I made a list of the ones I would like to try and visit.  The churches which were of greatest interest turned out to be in a nearby suburb so were less close than I had hoped.  I set out on the tram to see the Cultural Centre Sandels by Juha Leiviska and then walk my way back via the Kiasma.


Me looking silly listening to my ipad on the tram!


The Main Train station from the tram


The Anteneum (sp?) - the Helsinki classical art museum


I rode the tram up to the Juha Leviska building in Toolo.  I wanted to check it out for my history paper, but sadly it was not open so I only got to see the outside.



Seeing my own reflection in the window :)



I found this random park where a lot of people were running and walking around - kind of pretty.


Finlandia Hall - not my favorite architectural find in Helsinki



Look at the amazing color of this ambulance!  All of the emergency vehicles in Helsinki are this crazy vibrant (nearly florescent) orange


The National Museum

Walking on little paths along the nearby major roadway I saw a lot of people entering a little house.  I think it was the Helsinki City Museum.  Entrance was free so I was able to go in and see some neat black and white photographs of Helsinki!


 Ladies in their 60s were walking on this strange little path through the snow


These are the construction trailers - they take all these rectangular pods and stack them into something like  a construction village.


The Kiasma - the Contemporary Art Museum designed by Steven Holl







The cafe - look at those crazy green chairs!


It made me laugh that there was an Eric Clapton book in the museum book store!


The interior spaces of the Kiasma were really fun to photograph






View from the Kiasma















In the middle of the city, right outside of Kampii, there were children skiing down a hill.  I think it was a competition, but all I know is that it is one of the strangest things I have ever seen!


1 comment:

  1. Even though you didn't really like it, I liked the third picture of Finlandia Hall with the windows. I also like the Contemporary Art Museum. You're right, the interior pictures are great, but I don't think it was just the architecture that made the pictures look good ; )

    ReplyDelete