Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Day of Food

Sally's alarm worked today - so my day started off much better.  I even had some bread and meat and orange juice for breakfast.  Sally made enough coffee for me, so I actually drank some with milk and did not hate it too much.  The rest of the day could be told by food.

Fizzy water (I'm not a fan):
     9am - Finnish Architectural Review

Rye bread sandwiches (pretty good)
Jaffa orange soda (great)
Jaffa pineapple soda (way too sweet)
"Blue" chocolate...really good milk chocolate
Tea (best tea outside of teavana):
     Finnish Ministry of Education...they wanted to give us traditional foods -> Finnish culture

Fish Patty (blah)
Bread (good)
Potatoes (yum):
     Cheap lunch at the Helsinki University

Cranberry sauce (fantastic, but almost pure sugar)
Cake (yum)
Tea (pretty good):
      Town Hall....I also received a book which included some recipes

Shopping with Sally...Finnish lesson postponed

Salmon
Rye bread
Assortment of cheeses
My own tap water:
     Juhanni Palassmaa's office

Everyone stopped by our place (Jolly Rancher) and then we went to a bar down the street and had a good time story-swapping :)

The only downsides to my day were
1. Yesterday's shoes were not good for today as the snow melted because my feet became soaked.  This also meant I had to roll up my pants and look ridiculous all day.

2. By the end of the day, I've now heard the "history of Finland" told in 20-60 minutes three times.  It was quite interesting the first time...now it's a bit challenging not to want to doodle as the very nice Finn tells his rendition of the wars and their curious language.

No comments:

Post a Comment