Saturday, January 22, 2011

Travel = Waiting

Approximately 4 hours into my first flight of the trip I realized that I would be arriving in Amsterdam at 7:30am (12:30am to my head/body) and departing at 3:10pm (aka 15:10).  Thankfully, I brought some books to read and have my electronics all charged.  It's probably good I didn't know that I would be spending about equal time in this airport as I did on the plane.  I have found a Starbucks for when my body stops believing the clocks in this time zone.

Sitting in one of the wings of the airport are tons and tons of different accents.  The announcements from the airport are stated first in German, then French, and also English.  An interesting, but sad thing I have noticed - when leaving the US all plane announcements are in English but leaving other countries they usually speak in their native tongue and then repeat in English.  People sitting near me on the flight were going to New Dehli, Dubai, and Kenya - crazy!

I cannot imagine how exhausted I will be when I finally arrive at my apartment this evening...but am excited to see how much construction is actually happening and learn where Sally and I will be living for the semester!

Although initially cool technology - I think I might get a little annoyed if I can't figure out a way for internet pages to primarily appear in English....so few cognates.  

2 comments:

  1. Another interesting, but unnecessary fact of my travels...In order to get into my current terminal I had to go through security. I apparently had a small set of scissors in my bag (which I did entirely by accident and thought I had prevented but did not register on security the first go around). The security guy asked if he could look in my bag. He pulled them out and I said "Oh my, you should take those" (b/c that's what I assumed would happen and didn't want to cause trouble) but he showed it to the guy who looked at the x-ray and gave them back. Apparently I looked safe? Or b/c it was with my knitting they assumed I needed them (which I often do and end up tearing yarn dramatically).

    2.5 hours to my next plane...(my timing was off before I think)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I am writing you are landing. Undoubtedly tired. I tried to post before and it disappeared. Good luck about the scissors. Never thought about the internet and language. You will have a great 5 months. Think about how much Finnish you will know when you finish!

    ReplyDelete