Monday, January 24, 2011

Frantic Morning

Sally and I thought we set her phone alarm for 7:30am this morning...but her phone was still in Finnish mode.  I woke around 6am, returned to sleep, then heard some more noise outside and checked to find it was 8:25am...we had a 20-30 minute walk and a bus pass to buy by 9am.  I think the fact that we made it in 11 minutes was very impressive, but that contributed to the extreme headache and slight nausea I had for at least half of the day.

One we got to Aalto University, we had an introductory lecture and filled out quite a bit of paperwork.  In the next week I will have a student ID card!  We at lunch at one of the cafiterias and I am no longer concerned about starving in Finland!!  I may not even loose weight.  I ate about half of my entre of this chicken and rice dish and was stuffed!  Each meal comes with a small salad (which has cucumbers, sadly and NO ranch dressing) and 3, count them 3, slices of bread.  Soo much filling food...for about 3 euros!!

In the afternoon we had shop training (about half of what we need) and I saw some of the most amazing wood shop equipment imaginable.  I'm a little afraid of it still...but sooo cool.  Then we went to the World Trade Center...which is labeled on all sides in English and got some very basic Finnish history.  We also visited the largest department store in Finland, Stockmans (I believe).  I had been told they would have anything I needed...but I wanted more of a Walmart...no combs at Stockmans.

For dinner we went to a restaurant that I hope to frequent often b/c every item of food looked fantastic.  I had salmon soup.  The club and fried salmon looked sooo tastey.

Now I have an easy homework assignment and maybe some free reading before bed.  Hopefully the alarm will work tomorrow morning!!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi love,

    Sorry we didn't get to talk today. It is frustrating when you text me, because I know you're online, but can't text you back since you have no phone! I had already left for the day when I got your text, and was sad because I knew that meant I wouldn't talk to you. I packed my dinner so I would not have to leave school, and therefore, would not be on my computer before you wen to bed. I practiced for 6 hours today!

    Sorry to hear you had a quick morning, but glad you made it on time. I am also glad that you are going to have food to eat. It was one of the things I was worried about for you. I will try to get my schedule on google calendar so we can figure out a regular time to chat. I'm also going to start bringing my laptop with me to school. Hope you're sleeping well : )

    ReplyDelete